CoastWise is meant to steadily reverse centuries of impacts to salt marshes and other tidal habitats by designing safe, low-maintenance crossings scaled to accommodate sea level rise and restore natural tidal flow.
Phase 1: Develop tools, decision-making methods, and guidance materials
Phase 2: Create and implement outreach and training for the CoastWise Approach
- Maine Tidal Restriction Atlas
- Road crossing project checklist for municipalities and their agents
- Road crossing project checklist for restoration practitioners
- Decision-making tools to meet economic, ecological, and safety objectives
- List of vulnerable species and associated mapping resources
- Catalog of tidal road crossing types and applications
- Technical design guidance document for improvement of tidal hydrology at road crossings
- Outreach and training for communities and technical users
Thirty-plus entities are involved with crafting the CoastWise Approach. The effort is coordinated by the Maine Coastal Program within the Department of Marine Resources. For information, contact Ellen Bartow-Gillies.