COVID-19 Information | Read All Notices
Parking area and trails are open—for now.
Restrooms, buildings, and Laudholm Beach are closed.

The Wrack

The Wrack is the Wells Reserve blog, our collective logbook on the web.

Planting Natives to Deter Canada Geese

Posted by | August 30, 2018 | Filed under: Program Reports

As part of the Cape Neddick River Restoration project we reached out to 30 + landowners on the Cape Neddick River and asked if any would like to partner with us in a project to deter the geese hanging out on their lawns by planting native shrubs. Why deter the geese? Because they poop, a lot, and it is one source of bacteria contaminating the water. 

I heard back from 9 landowners, moved forward with making designs and plans with 5, and implemented 3 projects. As part of the funding requirement, the grant could cover up to 60% of the project costs and the homeowners need to match the remaining 40%.  Special thanks to our volunteers for helping defray the costs by digging and planting: Allyn Lamb from Kennebunkport and Steve Malkasian from Kennebunk, both Wells Reserve volunteers; Alan Shapiro, Fran Day, Laura Neal and Philippa Stratton from Cape Neddick; and Robert Palmer, from York.

Example Planting Plan:

My car stuffed with 55 plants from Pierson Nurseries (they stuffed it; they're experts).

55 plants later . . .

Getting holes dug and plants in (Leslie, Allyn and Fran). 

 One site, before: 

and after:

And does it work? Sid says, "Annie, the geese aren't here and I no longer have to wear my old sneakers to walk out on my lawn."

← View all Blog Posts